If you have been injured in an accident at work in Ireland which was not your fault you may be entitled to make an accident or personal injury compensation claim. Under Irish law, every worker has the right to a safe place of work and a safe system of work. Employers must adhere to strict laws and regulations that are designed to protect their staff from personal injury. This includes provision of a safe system of work, a satisfactory working environment and in particular, identification and replacement of potentially dangerous machinery and equipment. You can be compensated if you can prove that the accident was the fault of someone else – your employer or a fellow employee. You may be entitled to make a claim for compensation if you have had an accident at work or if you believe that you have suffered as a result of your employer being in breach of Health and Safety legislation.
Accidents in work can happen as a result of many causes for example:-
- Slips, trips and falls in a level area.
- Falls from a height … from stairs, ladders or scaffolding.
- Manual handling, which includes lifting and carrying, pushing and pulling, and twisting and turning of the body.
- The use and handling of machinery, which was unsuitable for the task or not serviced correctly.
- Exposure to chemicals and dangerous substances through a lack of protective clothing and equipment.
- The hazards of using and moving transport vehicles in the workplace.